RE: Bolt sizes generally needed for MGB engine rebuild

To: Nina Barton <ninab@scoresheet.com>
Subject: RE: Bolt sizes generally needed for MGB engine rebuild
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 08:38:41 -0700
Nina:

        When rebuilding an MG B series type engine normally all fasteners
are reused.  Unless some DPO has been in there all fasteners can be removed
without damage.  The parts that are sensitive to damage are unique and not
readily available from parts houses.

        Fasteners that can be damaged are the head studs, which can be
corroded.  I would suggest planning on replacing at least a couple of the
long ones.
        Manifold studs, which tend to be damaged by previous work.
        Thermostat studs, which tend to corrode.
        Flywheel bolts, which tend to be rounded off by previous work.
Rocket Products makes a flywheel bolt for I think a Plymouth that works
really well.  It has a tad longer head and is much easier to reuse.
        Water pump bolts, which can be corroded.  These are of unique
lengths.

        That's pretty much it.  If the engine has been apart before, I would
recomend replacing all the head studs as they can stretch if abused.

Kelvin.