Re: Throwout bearing replacement

To: "MG list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Throwout bearing replacement
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 07:55:25 -0700
Well, if you detach all connections to the engine and trannie (wires,
hoses, driveshaft, engine mounts) AS IF you were going to pull the
engine, put a floor jack under the oil pan to tilt & raise it
appropriately, and unbolt the trannie crossmember (and remember to remove
the shift lever!); and you have the car up on blocks at the correct
angle, I have found you can pull the OD unit from under the car... which
suggests to me you could pull the trannie/bell housing (possibly by
removing the rear extension first). I have done the OD bit twice by
myself (out and then in), but I would think you would need a little help
with the trannie going in unless you have either 1) a trannie jack; or 2)
Mark McGuire forearms.

But renting the engine hoist is only about 30 bucks, twice. That may be
cheap compared to chiropractic. And even then, a burly assistant is not
unappreciated.

John Trindle had this to say:

--

Max Heim