Jumpy tach-engine miss

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Jumpy tach-engine miss
From: Don Walton <dhw@pinehurst.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 1999 09:36:28 -0400 (EDT)
Hello all, while dirving the 77b lately, the tach has started bouncing
around and there seems to be a miss while holding a steady speed.  When the
engine is given more power such as passing or going uphill the tach settles
down and is fine until a steady speed is again reached.  Then the tach
starts bouncing around again and the miss returns.  I am leaning toward the
wonderful Lucas electronic ignition system which is still on the car.  If
this is the case can another type of system be interchanged without changing
the ballasted coil?  I have already changed back to twin SU's so I am not
adverse to change. I just want the best setup for the car.  If anyone out
there in MG land has encountered this, please let me know. TIA  Don Walton in NC