Re: Jumpy tach-engine miss

To: dhw@pinehurst.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Jumpy tach-engine miss
From: "Dennis Berman" <dberman@nortelnetworks.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 10:31:28 -0500

> Date: Sun, 18 Apr 1999 09:36:28 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Don Walton <dhw@pinehurst.net>
> Subject: Jumpy tach-engine miss
>
> Hello all, while dirving the 77b lately, the tach has started bouncing
> around and there seems to be a miss while holding a steady speed.  When the
> engine is given more power such as passing or going uphill the tach settles
> down and is fine until a steady speed is again reached.  Then the tach
> starts bouncing around again and the miss returns.  I am leaning toward the
> wonderful Lucas electronic ignition system which is still on the car.  If
> this is the case can another type of system be interchanged without changing
> the ballasted coil?  I have already changed back to twin SU's so I am not
> adverse to change. I just want the best setup for the car.  If anyone out
> there in MG land has encountered this, please let me know. TIA  Don Walton in
>NC

I had the exact same problem just a few months back.
Tach jumped widly (especially when down-shifting).

Problem now solved and has not returned.

Wanna know what I did?

Replaced the pickup unit inside the distributor.
Easy job and only cost about 30 bucks (if I remember
right).

I found the problem by fooling around with the
two wires that come from the distributor and
lead to the coil. The more I messed with them,
the problem either got better, or worse.

Replacing the pickup unit inside the distributor
not only solved the tach problem, but also resolved
the backfiring and rough running issues I had at the
time.

She purrs along very nicely every since.

--
Regards,

Dennis Berman
dberman@nortelnetworks.com