Re: Filling a transmission...what kind of container?

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Filling a transmission...what kind of container?
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 1999 11:45:15 -0700
Hmmm, I don't think later trannies have the top port, although the
factory left the access hole behind the console.

I use the pump from a gallon jug of 90w gear oil. This is like a huge
Windex squirt pump except that the "spray" nozzle is replaced by a short
length of 1/2" clear hose. You fill the jug with the proper oil, set the
jug on the ground, feed the hose into the hole, and use your whole arm to
pump. Still tedious, but a lot more than a "1/4 pint per squeeze". This
rig is pretty much designed for the task since most rear axles are filled
through a side hole just like the the MG trannie. You probably have to
buy a gallon of gear oil to get one, however. Might as well change the
rear axle oil while you're at it!

Bill Saidel had this to say:

--

Max Heim