Re: Backfiring

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>, <stevejp2@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Backfiring
From: "Dan Ray" <danray@bluegrass.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 19:56:34 -0500
The first and most simple cause is a leaky exhaust, which will backfire when
you let off of the gas. (which I assume you do when shifting too, so -- same
thing, right?) While running, (but not too long or it will be HOT), safely
reach your hand under and along the left side of the car where the exhaust
pipe runs and feel for a "breeze". A new exhaust will run you around $200 or
so. (patching doesn't work, trust me) If it sounds like a lawnmower, you
should know. Go look at more than one car and compare!
Better yet, get a friend who knows a thing or two about cars to check out
the car with you! And read the articles on MGB purchasing (one is mine) at
www.mgb.bc.ca/
Dan
73 B