overheating-HELP!

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: overheating-HELP!
From: Michael Jose <cookie-monster@home.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 18:05:01 -0700
My new B is overheating like a crazy car.
Every time I drive it, the temp gauge slowly creeps up, and by and by,
it gets up *almost* to the red.  The couple times it did get in the red,
I let cool off.  It won't always stay up, either.  The gauge will go
back down, especially when I get it on a long, fast drive with some wind
going under the bonnet.  After the temp. is up for a while, the oil
gauge also starts to drop.  I have checked the hoses, and replaced the
radiator to overflow hose, because it was leaking- topped off the
coolant, etc.  The top radiator hose gets hot, so the thermostat is
opening.  What else could I be missing?  The fans work, too. (this is a
'79)
Please help!!!!
Mike Jose
Phoenix, AZ (it hit 97 today and will probably keep going!)