Re: NO HEADLIGHTS (LUCAS - LORD OF DARKNESS)

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: NO HEADLIGHTS (LUCAS - LORD OF DARKNESS)
From: Eric Erickson <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 20:30:22 +0000
So... I told you how I would report back on how easy it was to fix my
problem where I had lost my headlights (hi beam was OK), tail lights and
indicators.  Of course it would just be a bad earth somewhere... but I
couldn't find it!

Well.. next to go were the brakelights, so now I know that something
strange is happening.

I think I may install an ammeter (voltmeter or whatever) because I have
just finished running through my shopping list to replace all of the
parts that the

BROKEN REGULATOR

caused to be destroyed!!!!!!!!

2 headlight (sealed) globes
2 parklight globes
1 combination swich (for headlights & park lights)
1 switch (dash)
1 regulator
1 flasher/indicator relay

Luckily no real meltdown of wiring - even thought I kept driving this
thing as if there was nothing wrong (drove it into work and then next
day to auto-electrician - about twenty miles in all).

And all I can say is.... BUGGER!  And boy was I glad that I carried a
fire extinguisher.  I didn't need it but I certainly could have.

Oh yeah... and as I was testing things at the auto-electricians, the
fanbelt broke, got jammed and sent smoke billowing out from under the

Tomorrow... I go for my full day of 'advanced driver training' at the
Adelaide International Raceway.  This will teach her to disgrace me...
ha!  And now for the diff, clutch and gearbox repairs :-)

Eric