Safety Under Cars Was:Re: B update and questions

To: <REwald9535@aol.com>, <dcouncil@imt.net>, "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Safety Under Cars Was:Re: B update and questions
From: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 11:55:47 -0400
I can testify about this issue. I have a metal plate and 4 screws in my
collarbone. Many years ago I was replacing the clutch in a Merc Capri. I
had the car up on stands. I was on a creeper, and was replacing the last
of the tranny bolts. It was about 10:30PM at night. I had a friend, his
girlfriend, and my wife with me at the time. Since I was nearly finished
they had decided to head to the house. Well as I tightened that last bolt
on the tranny, one of the stands collapsed. I was on my side on the
creeper and tried to get out from under but didn't make it. The car was
supported by my shoulders, and one wheel and one stand. The car moved in
time with my breathing. I will tell you it is true what they say about
seeing you life flash before your eyes. Fortunately my Friend had not
left just yet and he grabbed a floor jack and raised the car. I was
driven to the hospital in extreme pain and ended up in surgery the next
day.
Please Always follow Ricks advise and make sure you car supports are
sturdy and stable.

Larry
>I think at one time or another just about everybody that has worked on cars
>much has either slid under a car on a jack or thought "Hey it's OK I'll only
>be there for a second, what could go wrong?"  In a word LOTS.
>Picture your B (A, Midget, Rolls Canhardly, whatever) landing on your head.
>When dropped from a jack the suspension will compress giving about 2" of
>clearance before regaining normal ride height, and your head is how thick?
>It WAS more than 2' is the answer.  Please don't even think about doing
>this.
> Good list members are hard to find.
>The only safe way is put a good jack stand(s) under the car place the weight
>on them and then wiggle, bounce, shove on the car to make sure that it is
>secure.  Then and only then go under the car.
>Rick Ewald
>67 MGB
>
>In a message dated 4/20/99 8:42:04 PM SA Eastern Standard Time,
>dcouncil@imt.net writes:
>
>> Just as I was getting ready to crawl under the car to pull the starter, I
>>  heard a creaking sound. So I stopped to listen closer only to see the car
>>  come crashing down, the jack and bracket pulling away from the car.

Larry Macy
78 Midget

Keep your top down and your chin up

Larry B. Macy, Ph.D.