Re: Wanted: TR-6

To: "Michael Graziano" <mgrazian@ltcm.com>,
Subject: Re: Wanted: TR-6
From: "Kai Radicke" <mowogmg@pil.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 18:22:09 -0400
This may be of general interest to many, so I'm posting it publically.

Where to located TR6s on the internet:

http://www.vtr.org/ads/
http://www.classifieds2000.com
http://www.traderonline.com

The three that list the most...

What to look for?

Body?  As with all British cars, rust.  The TR6 is a seperate chassis / body
car.  Major places to look for corrosion are near the trailing arm frame
members (very expensive to fix if you have rot there).  Also run along the
seams of the rear body panels looking for bubbles, bondo, etc.  Remove
carpets from the trunk, check the seams as well as the gas tank.

Mechanically?  Oil pressure should be slightly above 50psi at 3000-3200rpm.
Worn thrust washers are also a major concern with the engine.  Otherwise,
the normal mechanical checks apply.  Both the engine and gearbox are very
durable.

Electrically?  Triumph seems to have gotten it right.  The Lucas demons
don't seem to be present.

Driving?  Loud clunks on takeoff and stopping may indicate cracked
differential mountings.

What to pay?

$0000-$4000 semi decent cars needing work to full restoration projects.
$4000-$6000 decent, nice, reliable drivers.
$6000-$8000 very nice cars, requiring some cosmetic touching up
$8000+ your excellent and show car categories.

What to look for.  Hardtop and overdrive are worth big bucks.  Earlier
1969-1973 TR6s used an A-type OD, and later ones had the J-type OD.  The
factory steel hardtop is nice, a very nice option.

That's basically it.  I lucked out with my TR6, spent 15 minutes checking it
out and I knew it was the one.  Shop around though!

Cheers,

--
Kai Radicke -- kai@radiohead.net
1966 MGB -- 1974 Triumph TR6

BTW, TR6's don't have the problem with bonnets opening at speed :P

>Hey folks.
>
>A friend of mine is dying for a pre-75 TR-6 in the NYC area.  Don't know
why
>he chose a pre'75 (or a TR-6 for that matter).  If anyone has any leads on
>one in the area that may be up for sale,  I'd appreciate the info.  As he
is
>not yet a brit car lunatic/mechanic/owner,  he doesn't know what things to
>look for in a TR-6.  Neither do I other than the obvious carry overs from
MG