78 B bodywork, HS4 conversion/emission questions

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: 78 B bodywork, HS4 conversion/emission questions
From: dresden@tiac.net
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 03:39:27 GMT
Hey all,

Am preparing to order some parts for '78 B, and want to sound the list first:

When converting a rubber bumper to HS4's, what is done about the PCV
arrangement? I don't have a PCV valve on my manifold, and am wondering if
I'm better off just using a vented cap and plugging it up, or is there a
definite running benefit to PCV, and does it just plug into the later B
plumbing without causing any trouble? It seems as though it would, but you
never know, or at least I never seem to.

Also, what about the air pump and associated equipment? Disconnect, cap
off, leave in place, or what? If I were just putting the old one back
together, this would be easy, but I'm not clear enough on emissions theory
to know what works with what here. Anyone with a good running example, or a
professional, care to tell me how it's done?

Also, has anyone replaced the bottom six inches of the driver's side front
quarter panel (wing) using the replacement panel available from Moss? If
so, any tips (OK, instructions) on removing the old bottom six with minimal
damage? How to clean up inside in order to delay the return of rust? What's
with this rubber seal around the wheelwell? Is that supposed to keep
moisture out, or trap it inside?..=). I have a dremel and a drill, but not
much else in the way of power tools. Also, on how to affix the new panel
properly for welding? (I will be having a friend do the actual welding, but
would like to have it "ready to weld" for him). My bodywork experience is
limited to "pop-rivet backing plate and bondo" but I would like to do this
right.

Thanks,

Nevin