Re: more consistent metallic clunk

To: Bill Saidel <saidel@crab.rutgers.edu>
Subject: Re: more consistent metallic clunk
From: Skye Poier <skye@ffwd.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 22:08:51 -0700
Word on the street is that Bill Saidel said:
>       A metallic clunk occurs every time I lift my foot from the gas and
> a second clunk occurs when I put pressure so the pedal moves down.

List of things to check:

1. Driveshaft U-joints.  Grab the driveshaft and give it a good yank.  If
there is any play, the UJs need to be replaced.

2. Thrust washers in the diff.  Get the Lindsay Porter DIY guide for step
by step instructions on how to fix that.

3. Worn rear suspension.  Check U-bolts, springs, pads.

4. Worn wire wheel splines.

May be a combination of the above!!!

> driveshaft from loaded to not loaded or pressured to unpressured...what is
> the terminology to use when one changes from active driving to ?inactive-when
> the gas pedal is not under foot pressure?

I think the term is "overrun"

BTW, I have a clunk too.  I'm replacing my UJs and rebuilding the rear
end suspension...

Skye

--
1966 MGB        The MGB Experience         __,__\__      Safety Fast!
GHN3L-70307     http://www.mgb.bc.ca/     (_o____o_)     MGOFR 1.375