Rebuild question

To: MG <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rebuild question
From: Adrian Jones <AdrianJones@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 19:13:23 -0400
Hi Folks,
Oil consumption is now 80 miles/quart.    I can now see smoke from the back
when driving - not like a big plume of smoke, sort of like a haze.  I
imagine I'm dripping a fair amount out as well.
Here's the funny part though - compression readings are 155, 155, 156, 155.
That's pretty darn good, isnt it?  After adding exactly one tablespoon of
oil they go up to 210, 195, 205, 180.  (1275 Midget, BTW)  That's not so
good, is it.
Could I get by with fixing up the cylinder head and looking for leaks down
below?  Or is it full time engine rebuild?  Oil pressure is very good so
I'm kind of reluctant to attempt pulling the engine, etc, etc, etc.

Advice much appreciated.  Adrian