Re:Which type of mirrors do y'all like best

To: MG Listserver <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re:Which type of mirrors do y'all like best
From: Chris Attias <cattias@cats.ucsc.edu>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 15:53:24 -0700
Fender mirrors are terrible!  My car came with bullet mirrors on th
fenders, and even if they had been in good shape, I would have removed
them.  Tiny field of view.  Although I have an early car, I went for the
late style door mirrors on both sides.  Got the Idea from the '65 B Ron
Gammons rally car, which is very "Works" looking, but has to be practical
in terms of visibility.  I put the mounting a little farther back than I
should have, after studying a number of period photos.  I was trying not to
drill holes too close to the Cracks of Doom on both doors.  Ideally they
would be mounted so the window track / ventwing would not obscure the view,
but they would be as far forward as possible.

I once considered the period dealer mirrors popular in the late Sixties.
Tried the Tex repros out, and found that they were made for RHD cars!  The
driver's door (LH) mirror had a bend in the stalk to cheat it over, as if
you needed to see it from the RH seat, which made proper adjustment a
little wierd.

Chris Attias
'64 MGB