Re: Am I crazy?

To: MMich99551@aol.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Am I crazy?
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 10:57:34 EDT
In a message dated 4/28/99 9:53:36 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
MMich99551@aol.com writes:

<< In my original post I was asking if I
 was nuts for wanting a MG (my wife thinks I am).  I am not a mechanic by any
 stretch of the imagination, but am hoping to learn.  I am somewhat beyond
 this decision as I have stumbled upon an original owner '75 MGB.  I would
 like your opinions on two things:
        1.  He mentioned in our conversation that 75 was the worst year for
 MGB's, do you think this to be true?  Are there a lot of problems after the
 transition for all the USA requirements?
        2.  He put a Webber Carb. on it a few years ago.  Ever since the car
 blows plugs every 300 or so miles.  Any thoughts?  Unfortunately, it has not
 been driven much.

 The car has 65,000 miles on it.  The body has NO rust, it is in the middle
of
 a rebuild (interior), but has the interior kit and all the parts to put it
 back together.  All this for $1,000.00.  What do you think?

 Thanks,
 Mark Michael >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Since you are asking the opinion of the MG list, you obviously have already
made your decision.  We all think it is the right one!

Everybody has to start somewhere when it comes to having a car for a hobby.
The best thing about MGs is that parts are easier to get now than when they
were new!  Actually, the real best thing is the availability of all the help
you will get with your project on this list.

No one on this list will take a stab at which year was the worst, or best,
year for an MG.  (At least not honestly.)  Every year has it's problems and
it's good points.  Anything mechanical can be fixed.  The most important
thing about any LBC is maintenance.  Do ALL the periodic maintenance, and you
will have a reliable car that will give you many years of pleasure.

Buy the car.  Buy the best tools you can afford, when you need them.  (That
is, you don't have to go buy the complete, 25,000 piece set of Craftsman
tools in the 12' tall 164 drawer box...at least, not right away.)  BUY THE
MANUALS.  Get the catalogs from Moss and Victoria British.  Join a local
Brit. Car club, or one of the national ones (or both).  Then start fixing the
small stuff.

Take the jobs one at a time.  If you look at the whole picture of everything
that is wrong, you will get discouraged.  If you fix one little thing every
weekend, you'll be done in no time, and it won't seem so bad.

By the time you have the interior refreshed and the car running smoothly,
your wife will be begging to take a ride in your LBC.

Best of luck.  Stay tuned and let us know how you are doing with your project.

Allen Hefner
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport