Re: Am I crazy?

To: MMich99551@aol.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Am I crazy?
From: "Dennis Berman" <dberman@nortelnetworks.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 14:38:35 -0500
Mark Wrote:

> Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 09:49:46 EDT
> From: MMich99551@aol.com
> Subject: Am I crazy?
>
> I'll try this again.  I posted earlier that I was considering buying an MGB,
> but it didn't post for some reason.  In my original post I was asking if I
> was nuts for wanting a MG (my wife thinks I am).

Yes! ALL MG owners are completely nuts!
That's why we rely on each other so much.

> I am not a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination, but am hoping to learn.

Buy an MG, and you'll soon become certified.

> I am somewhat beyond
> this decision as I have stumbled upon an original owner '75 MGB.  I would
> like your opinions on two things:
>         1.  He mentioned in our conversation that 75 was the worst year for
> MGB's, do you think this to be true?  Are there a lot of problems after the
> transition for all the USA requirements?

I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Is the car solid (no or little rust)?
Does the car run? even if it doesn't,
MGs are very (usually) easy to work on.

>         2.  He put a Webber Carb. on it a few years ago.  Ever since the car
> blows plugs every 300 or so miles.  Any thoughts?  Unfortunately, it has not
> been driven much.

Discard the weber and return her to as she was built.

I'll take alot heat for this statement, but there is
alot to be said for originality.

I debated sometime back on originality vs. functionality...

I now believe that my MG will be as original as I can get her.
Still have a few pieces to go, but I'm well on my way.

I have heard and seen good things about webers.
bad plugs after 300 miles doesn't sound right,
I suspect another (more experienced) Lister
might suggest you look elsewhere.

> The car has 65,000 miles on it.  The body has NO rust, it is in the middle of
> a rebuild (interior), but has the interior kit and all the parts to put it
> back together.  All this for $1,000.00.  What do you think?

Can't go wrong... if this were offered to me, I'd jump on it.

--
Regards,

Dennis Berman
444.8352