Re: Timing Question

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Timing Question
From: Eric Erickson <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 07:31:21 +0000
Max Heim wrote:

> Ooh, that brings to mind an embarassing incident when a pre-driving-
> age self was allowed to move the family Fury wagon... redlined it in
> Neutral and slipped the timing chain so bad it wouldn't start again.

Kulka, Matt had this to say:

> Reminds me of a time many years ago when a buddy of mine had a '68
> Mustang with a manual three speed.  He had to stomp hard on the
> brake one day, and he missed the clutch before doing so.  The
> crankshaft slowed down real fast, but the camshaft wanted to keep
> going.  Since his (fiber toothed) timing gear was worn, the timing
> chain jumped a tooth.

Thanks Max and Matt,

Well to be sure and safe about this I dropped the 'B into the doctor and
his explanation was that... "the 'B can sometimes just lose its timing
like this if thrown about a bit...".  Timing done... all is well again.

But now that you two have raised these questions I might go back for a
slightly more detailed explanation and his ideas on what may have
happened (not that I plan to punish the poor beast again like this in
the near future without proper preparation - that is, actually turning
it into a bit of a competition car).

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Eric
'68MGB MkII