Re: Intake manifold

To: Dan Dwelley <ddwelley@excite.com>
Subject: Re: Intake manifold
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 01:49:00 -0400
Dan Dwelley wrote:
> An intake manifold for the 1500 spitfire/Midget engine...not the ZS Manifold
> but the dual 1.5 in. HS4 manifold. If there is anyone who may have one they
> would be willing to part with or know of where I can find one, I would
> greatly appreciate it. The heat shield would be an added bonus.

  I got my set from a garage in the UK.

  Remember, the manifold is not special in many parts
of the world, every junkyard should have one or
two and shouldn't ask the world for them. So a
few phone calls can pay off.

  Some US parts dealers have them and will sell
them to you, however I have found their prices
to be quite high. Can't fault them for charging
what people will pay, however you can save a bundle
by getting them from a part of the world where
they "grow on trees" rather than from the US where
everybody would sell their left nut for one.

  I would recommend buying a UK-based magazine
such as MG Enthusiast or Practical Classics,
and calling the breakers listed in the small
ads in the back.

  I would also recommend buying a complete set of
manifolds, carbs, air filters, linkage, and gaskets
from the breakers, even if they are in poor
condition.

  When you receive them, you can then rebuild the
carbs if required, or replace them with locally
sourced HS4 carbs in better condition, and just
use the needles and linkage.

  Some of the little bits like the linkage are
unique to the model, so you might have to do
some improvisation if you just get the manifold
and attempt to use local parts to complete the job.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca