Re: Distributor in wrong, can't retard timing: 77B

To: "MG list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Distributor in wrong, can't retard timing: 77B
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Mon, 3 May 1999 20:41:14 -0700
Hmmm, I *think* the only way your distributor can be in wrong is if the
drive gear is backwards (180 degrees off), which generally means you
aren't running. It seems more likely you've got the plug leads rotated
around the cap. Pull each lead and move it to the next socket, moving in
a "retarding" direction (without it in front of me I forget which way
that is). That will retard things 90 degrees, then you rotate the whole
distributor back in the advancing direction as much as necessary (try
60-70 degrees to start). The idea is to get the "sweet spot" into the
middle of the adjustable area.

Tom McLaughlin had this to say:

--

Max Heim