Re: She won't start....

To: mkris@sprynet.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: She won't start....
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 14:51:42 EDT
In a message dated 5/6/99 2:21:26 PM Eastern Daylight Time, mkris@sprynet.com
writes:

<< Gentlemen of the list,
 My 77 Mgb wont start. Two days ago it did. Now it doesnt. Starter turns,
engine
 turns, but it wont catch.
 I had no spark. I found the loose connection, fixed. Now, I cant find a
reason.
 Suggestions? Ideas?
 Chris >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Check the simple stuff first.  You have to have gas and spark.  Pull off the
coil wire so the engine doesn't start unexpectedly.  Pull off the fuel line
from the carb and turn the engine over a click or two.  See if gas sprays
out.  If yes, it's not a lack of gas.

Put the coil wire back on.  Pull a plug wire off a plug and sit it about 1/4"
from the block or some good metal ground. (Do this AWAY from where the gas
sprayed out!)  Try to place it so you can see it from the driver's seat.
Turn the engine over and see if there is a spark jumping to ground.  If yes,
you got spark.

If both tests don't show a problem, you have to look elsewhere.  Did anything
else happen?  Is the distributor tight, or could it have turned?

Some starting fluid (ether) down the carb will also ignite if you have spark,
and may be enough to get the engine running.  I suspect that one of the first
two tests will fail.

Good luck.

Allen Hefner
'77 Midget