Re: Seat belts

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Seat belts
From: Florrie & Allen Bachelder <bachldrs@swva.net>
Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 19:44:10 -0400
I stand corrected.  It would be insane to argue with Allen Hefner's point.
But, taken in the spirit in which my advice was offered, I meant only to
indicate how easy it is to put 3-point belts in a '67 B.  Of course, if
there was reason to doubt the safety of the belts being considered, I would
presume one would exercise some  judgement.

New belts designed to fit any '70s model B, would bolt into the '67 just as
easily.  As I said - ten-minute job.  Regarding a related safety issue:
even though I went to considerable trouble and expense to find original
seat frames for my '65 B project, I have since decided to sacrifice
originality in favor of later style seats with headrests in this car.  Now
the '65 has different seatbelt fittings on the rear wheel wells - which
will pose another problem.  It is apparent that some sort of 3-point belt
was contemplated, but they would secure with two smaller bolts rather than
the single large one.  Does anybody know what replacementwould fit these?

TIA,
Allen

>From: Ajhsys@aol.com
>Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 09:53:29 EDT
>Subject: Re: Seat belts
>In a message dated 5/6/99 10:42:13 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
>bachldrs@swva.net writes:
>
><< Kevin -
>
> I recently put 3-point belts (recovered from a '76 parts car) in a '67.  It
> was a direct bolt-in fit.  The captive nuts for the retractors were welded
> to the rear wheel arches in the '67 B at the factory.  Ten-minute job.
>
> Allen
>
> From: "Kevin C. Rarick" <krarick@nextphase.com>
> >
> >My 67 MGB is lacking seatbelts. I want to put 3-pointers in there. Any
> >suggestions on make and instructions for installation?
> >Thanks,
> >Kevin
> >67 MGB >>
>
>- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
>I would be cautious about using seatbelts out of a 23 year old parts car.
>Direct sunlight and moisture can really take their toll on the strength of
>the belts.  Considering the relative lack of safety features in LBCs, you
>should have good seatbelts and you should always use them.
>
>Consider buying a new set of belts, probably about $100, and installation
>shouldn't be too difficult.
>
>Safety Fast!
>
>Allen Hefner
>'77 Midget