Top problems 77B..sigh

To: MG list <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Top problems 77B..sigh
From: Tom McLaughlin <tmcl98@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 12:17:43 -0700 (PDT)
I've always had much trouble getting the top up and down on my 77B.
One of the DPOs replaced one of the bolts that secures the top to the
car.  Apparently he could not get it all the way in and proceeded to
bend it (probably with a large blunt object).  I've been meaning to fix
this, but have not yet.  As a result the tongues on the top meet the
windshield about 1.5 inches (3.81cm :)) to the left of their
recepticles.  I have to yank the whole assembly to the side to get them
in.

Well, the bar the goes across the car supporting the top at the middle
of the seats is now bent or something and when I put the top up last
night, the end of it when through and ripped a hole.

I was planning on getting a new top cover anyway so that's okay, but a
few questions:

1)  My top has never gone all the way down.  When I look at pictures of
other Bs with the top down they look alot lower and the tonneau cover
looks in line with the car?  Mine always has a big hump.  Should I try
to rebuild the frame and such or should I just take it off and get
another when I get my new top.

2)  Should the top and the windshield brackets line up fairly easily or
do others have this same problem. (I doubt it)

3)  I haven't really looked at the frame yet, but if it is shot, does
anyone have one in good condition they are willing to sell?  Or should
I buy a new one????

Thanks as always and sorry so long,
Tom
77B