Re: MGB Windbreak DIY design progress (longish solicitation for

To: danray@bluegrass.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB Windbreak DIY design progress (longish solicitation for
From: Lmacy1211@aol.com
Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 22:54:28 EDT
My best idea would be to make something out of cloth or vinyl that you
can fit over the headrests and have a screen in between. Not sure if that
would fit the bill for the air coming arouund the sides or not - but it
might be easier than a hard screen.

Send me you plans. Just for kicks.

Larry

On 5/23/99 7:54 PM so and so (Dan Ray) said. (And I quote:)

>We had a discussion a while back about designing a DIY windbreak (commercial
>ones are $150+) and I've been doing some design and materiel shopping for
>this project. This has taken on a new importance and interest since on a
>recent long highway drive home the SO demanded that I pull over and put the
>top up because she just couldn't put up with the buffeting any longer (now
>that I HAVE a new top to put up, hehe). It was a windy day, and
>well....anyway...I'd like to drive fast without being beaten about the head
>and shoulders and still enjoy top down ventilation.
>I thought I'd update those interested and solicit some brain assistance.
>My original idea was to design a screen that would bolt onto a tonneax bar
>(I don't have a tonneax bar now), but upon doing the measurements, I
>realized that this would have to be a custom job since my seat is leaned way
>back -- further than the line where the tonneaux bar would run behind my
>seats.
>I went to Lowe's and lo and behold, they have a large assortment of aluminum
>pieces and Lucite in sheets of various sizes. As it happens, they're right
>next to each other..for custom making windows!
>So...I started thinking. Problem is...I'm no engineer, mechanical OR
>aerodynamic or otherwise, so I'm in dangerous territory!;) At least now I
>know the project can be done for less than $30, and it can be done with
>aluminum and I'm even thinking about trimming it with black leather that
>I've found at a flea market, so a well thought out design that LOOKS good is
>doable and should be pretty easy with common tools. The beauty of DIY is
>that I can hopefully engineer in some nice things like having it fold down,
>as well as fit right into the tonneax bar slots, unlike the commercial
>versions that attach to the headrests.
>
>If anyone is interested on working on a collaborative design, I can send you
>the Powerpoint(97, I can convert to .gif or whatever if needed) "plans" that
>I've developed so far and I'd really like some critique and input from a
>structural standpoint. Number 1 question I have is:  Is Plexiglass (Lucite)
>the correct material for the body of the screen? I know that most of the
>modern ones are made of actual screening material in a frame, which allows
>some airflow...hmmm..Those who have modern roadsters with these contraptions
>could contribute significantly to this project, I think.
>At least the final results will hopefully be a good thing to offer people on
>the list. I have no desire to make any money on this, just a need to
>implement some ingenuity to solve a problem.
>TIA
>Dan
>73 B
>Journalism major / Army Officer trying to be a mech engineer...:)

Larry Macy
78 Midget

Keep your top down and your chin up.

Larry B. Macy, Ph.D.
macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu
System Manager/Administrator
Neuropsychiatry Section
Department of Psychiatry
University of Pennsylvania
3400 Spruce St. - 10 Gates
Philadelphia, PA 19104

In a world without walls or fences, what use do we have for windows or
gates?