Re: Runners pushing baby carriages

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Runners pushing baby carriages
From: dresden@tiac.net
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 03:23:04 GMT
Ross,

It is probably unwise to do that, but a better question is why is it so unwise?

People have a right to walk or run on the road. However, most of the time
they are able to get out of the road for oncoming traffic (I always do when
I'm walking on a rural road, it is just easier and safer than worrrying
about whether the driver sees you). If people are smart, they walk/run
toward traffic, so that they can see someone coming, and get over just in
case. With a stroller it gets a little more difficult.

HOWEVER, and it's a big however, let me pose this question to you...what if
you were to come around the bend and there was a broken down car in the
road, or an equestrian having trouble with a horse, or an old lady crossing
to get to the mailbox? Would you be able to stop?

It is probably unwise to take your kid out in the stroller on a twisty
road, but it is only unwise because motorists often outdrive their ability
to see or stop. Don't get me wrong, I like to drive along back roads as
much as anyone, but we should remember that roads were for feet, both human
and equine, long before they were for cars. And our excise and gas taxes
don't begin to cover the cost of the roads, either. Most town roads are
maintained mostly by property tax money, and I assume this couple live on
that road. Many of these twisties that we love to drive were really not
designed for motor vehicles, and sometimes, in an especially twisty
section, we should treat them as such.

I feel like I've been on the list far too much lately...

I hope you enjoyed the new Star Wars movie, I know I did, annoying Jungans
(sp?) and all.

Nevin
78 B