Re: Fan & fuse

To: Thierry.gaucheron@renault.fr, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fan & fuse
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 10:32:58 EDT
Thierry.gaucheron@renault.fr writes:

<< Someday, this 'tempo cooling' break down, and now my
 2 fans are stoping when I turn of the engine. In addition, I'd like to
 know the meaning of the two numbers written on my fuse. For instance I
 got some : "17 amp rated 35" is this a 17 amp or a 35 amp fuse ? >>

The fans should stop when the sensor says it is cool enough.  This is not a
set period of time.  Sometimes it will be 5 minutes, sometimes it will be as
soon as you turn off the engine.  The sensor could still be going bad, but if
the fans work when the engine is hot, and the engine doesn't overheat, it is
not much to worry about.

The fuse with two numbers is a "slow-blow" fuse.  A constant current over 17
Amps will blow it, but it will take a spike of current up to 35 Amps for a
short time without blowing.  Some circuits require a slow-blow fuse to handle
the additional spike of current that occurs when you first turn on an
accessory, like a fan.

Allen Hefner
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport