The British Came to L.I.

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: The British Came to L.I.
From: drded@ix.netcom.com
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 19:10:52 -0500 (CDT)
Wow what a great weekend!!!! Friday night had General meeting for MG Car Club
Long Island
Centre. This meeting is where all the registration packet get stuffed and award
plaques are
assembled.

Saturday was our Rally and a very nice dinner with a whole bunch of MG folks
afterwards.

This all lead up to today's "The British are Coming!!" car show, swap meet,
funkhana and valve
cover races. Had a little better than 70 cars on the field. Darned weather
people just don't
have a clue and it's a wonder to me why people even listen to them. Mike Robson
managed to snag
second place in the Chrome Bumper MGB class only to return to accept his "Best
of Show" award.
Go figure, upon further review of the popular vote ballots, I found that many
people just did
not bother to fill out the Best of Show portion. Adam and I successfully
defended our Funkhana
campionship in the "Indy Style" event which involved two laps on a tight course
and each having
a mock pit stop. A tire change on the first lap and an oil/filter change / fuel
refill on the
second. The valve cover races were, with out a doudt the "Main Event" of the
day. I have never
seen so many spectators at a valve cover event. MGCC-LIC has a 32 foot long
inclined track which
starts at around 5.5'. Ten racers were entered and the crowd was INTO this, a
real "trill of
victory/agony of defeat" atmosphere. A valve cover racer fashioned out of a TR7
cover took top
honors.

This was my first go at being an Event Chairman and the amount of help I was
given from my
fellow club members made it a delightful experience. To the best of my
knowlege, Mike Robson,
Richard Boris and myself were the only list members present. Mark your calendar
for the second
Sunday in June of 2000 and plan on attending the most fun event of the show
season.

Safety Fast,
David Deutsch