RE: Hot Running Squeeling MGC

To: "'lulusam2@spark.isl.net'" <lulusam2@spark.isl.net>
Subject: RE: Hot Running Squeeling MGC
From: "Feldman, Jack (Jack)" <jack@lucent.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 15:14:33 -0500
Todd,

Dr. Doug gave me too much credit when he said I suggested filling the
radiator on an incline. I think he just meant that I'm off center. There is
a specific way to fill the C so as to get it really full. Unfortunately I
don't remember it. It has something to do with letting the car heat up until
the thermostat opens and the water circulates in the radiator. You then add
water to top it up, and repeat until full. I'll have to find out because I'm
replacing my anti freeze this year. Tony should know.

Actually I only thought I had an overheating problem. My car also ran at the
"H" and worried me. I bought a direct reading temp gauge from Tony Giordano
who found a bunch of aftermarket temp gauges which went under the name of
Tudor. I was running hot, but not too hot. On my trip to the C event in
Pensacola last year I hit a traffic jam on the Interstate. I had been
running at a temp of about 212, which is OK with anti freeze and pressure.
Seems that it was closed ahead because of a toxic spill. I was worried about
overheating, but as I inched along the temperature actually went down to
match the opening temp of the thermostat! It was a great investment. Even
though it says Tudor, and doesn't look at all like the present temp gauge,
it does match the gauge next to it.

Now for the squeal. Keep trying. I bought the guaranteed squeelless brake
pads from VB, and the silencing shims that go with them. Worked for a few
days, but the problem has returned. Save yourself the money and follow the
previous suggestions on the list, except I wouldn't fool with the rotors.
The squeel is caused by vibration, and you must damp that to get things
quiet.

Consider this sentance a pitch for joining the C Registry. (I am two weeks
behind in reading the Digest and have pitched last weeks, so allow me to
applogise if you beling and I haven't read that far). We're the feature car
at the Twist party this year. We need at least a gathering of 100 Cs.