Re: rallys and rally computers

To: skye@ffwd.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: rallys and rally computers
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 11:25:42 EDT
In a message dated 6/14/99 4:56:27 PM Eastern Daylight Time, skye@ffwd.com
writes:

<< I would like to do some TSD rallys but I have a few questions...

 Is it possible to get by without a navigator?  I can see it being a bit
 dangerous, taking your eyes off the road...

 How much does having a rally computer help?  What are some good kinds of
 computers?  My '66 is positive ground, so that adds a wrinkle.  And no,
 I'd rather not convert to neg ground (just personal preference).  The
 MGA is pos ground right?  Barney, if you're reading this, what kind of
 computer do you use?  >>

Hello Skye,

No, you can't get by without a navigator.  No rallies will allow it.  It is
always in the generals that you have to have two people in the car.  Safety
is an issue when you are driving on open roads.

You don't need to buy a computer to get started in TSD rallies.  There is
usually a stock class and SOP (Seat Of the Pants) class.  In stock you use
the stock odometer and you can use a single memory function calculator.  In
SOP the odo is usually taped over and you are on your own.

You can download tables for use in TSD events from www.goss.com/rally.htm
and you should check most of the links at that site for more info.  There is
a good article called EZ Rally Timing by Gary Starr there too.

If you do well in four or five TSD rallies this way, you might want to
consider spending the money on a rally computer.  They cost several hundred
dollars.  Go to www.rally.cc for Alfa Computers (that's the one I have) or
www.htnews.com/comptltd for info on Timewise computers.  These are the two
serious companies.  You can send e-mail to these guys and they will explain
what would have to be done to handle positive earth cars.

Lastly, find a local region of the SCCA and see if they have a RoadRally
program.  Go to www.scca.org.

Zeroes,

Allen Hefner
Philly Region SCCA Rally Steward