Re: rallys and rally computers

To: <MGs@autox.team.net>, <skye@ffwd.com>
Subject: Re: rallys and rally computers
From: "Kenneth Scott" <KSCOTT@holycross.edu>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 08:07:40 -0400
Skye,
        I've been rallying off and on for about 30 years now.  I have had a
rally computer (built it myself) but the most fun I have had is going class C
(no calculations and no mileage measurement, just try to keep the speed as
close as possible).  It is by far the best way to get started.  No expense and
little pressure.  You will learn the techniques of staying on course and will
gradually develop an instinct for staying on time.  A navigator is an absolute
must.  It is much more fun and a whole lot safer.  If you get really into it
then you have two classes to move up to.  Class B which allows non-cumulative
calculation devices and class A which is, essentially, unlimitet, computers
etc.  For class B you need a navigator with a pocket protector (nerd engineer
joke ;-}> ).  For class A you need either a specialized computer or a laptop
with interface devices and the appropriate software.
Hope this helps.
Ken Scott
77 MGB
>>> Skye Poier <skye@ffwd.com> 06/14/99 04:54PM >>>
I would like to do some TSD rallys but I have a few questions...

Is it possible to get by without a navigator?  I can see it being a bit
dangerous, taking your eyes off the road...

How much does having a rally computer help?  What are some good kinds of
computers?  My '66 is positive ground, so that adds a wrinkle.  And no,
I'd rather not convert to neg ground (just personal preference).  The
MGA is pos ground right?  Barney, if you're reading this, what kind of
computer do you use?

Hmm thats about all for now I suppose.  It's a beautiful day I wish I
was driving down a twisty forest road with the top down rather than
sitting in this stuffy office!

Skye

--
1966 MGB        The MGB Experience         __,__\__      Safety Fast!
GHN3L-70307     http://www.mgb.bc.ca/     (_o____o_)     MGOFR 1.375