Assembly Lubricant & Windshields (long)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Assembly Lubricant & Windshields (long)
From: David Macedonia <david_macedonia@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 19:29:24 PDT
To All,

Although it's too late to do anything about either issue, I just have to
ask.

1. Is anyone familiar with an assembly lubricant called Berryman B-11
Lubrex? When I rebuilt my engine 2 years ago (new bearings, oil pump,
pistons, valves, valve springs, valve guides, lifters, gaskets, $$$, etc.)
the machinist who did the block and head work told me to use it during
re-assembly. I did. It is a spray and not nearly as thick as I thought it
needed to be. Also, since it might be another 2 years before the car is
ready (I'm doing body work now!), should I do anything special when I try to
start the engine the first time?

2. Has anyone ever bought a windshield from NOS Locators? I found their add
in Hemmings and bought an NW415C windshield. Now, I know that repairing a
windshield is much, much, much harder than it looks, but I swear it wasn't
quite the right size. I had to use a nylon strap clamp (the kind with a
ratchet) to pull the vertical pieces together so that I could get the brass
screws in. It was hard work! In the end, it just wasn't quite right. For the
most part the rubber  seal was seated properly, but I didn't like how things
fit in the lower corners. I had to use silicone caulk to fill in gaps. I
didn't attempt to return the windshield because I just assumed it was my
incompetence. Besides that, I found it hard to believe that someone would
make a windshield that was "almost" correct for an MGB. I don't want to try
doing it again because the durability of brass screws in threaded aluminum
holes leaves something to be desired.

Thanks,

Dave Macedonia
1966 MGB