Re: Hardtops (prolix)

To: "Scott/Michelle" <mcjsr@talstar.com>, "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Hardtops (prolix)
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 20:41:02 -0700
I have a Snug Top (purchased used). I keep it on for the entire
California rainy season (no, that's not January 3-5, it's roughly Nov-Mar
in the Bay area, depending on El Nino), because my car is parked outside,
and leakage through the tonneau would make it pretty damp. My soft top is
over ten years old and the rear windows are still perfect, because it
only gets used in emergencies.

Quick rundown on the Snug Top:

Looks: debatable. I don't like the black "leather-look" texture (read
"vinyl top" like a 70's Buick). I personally think I'd prefer the factory
style glossy black or white top for looks. The shape is OK but a little
bulky looking to me. The white interior makes it nice and bright inside.

Visibility: very good, large quarter lights, much better than the soft
top.

Mounting: no fuss. No drilling. Attaches to the windscreen frame with
soft-top-style latches. Little brackets drop into the tonneau bar sockets
and are held in place with screws. More or less lines itself up. Pretty
heavy for one person to lift and position, or remove. I remove it by
crouching inside the car and standing up with it across my shoulders like
Atlas, but persons of more Herculean physique may find it trivial.

Weather sealing: very good. Mine has old, raggedy rubber seals and still
keeps the rain out. Occasionally at freeway speed in a downpour water
oozes through cracks in the header seal and drips in my lap. I'm sure a
new seal would fix it. The fit to the side windows is more positive than
with the soft top, but there are still a few gaps in the back lower
corners. Not a water problem except at the car wash.

Noise: very noisy. Solid fiberglass with no headliner makes for an echo
chamber, trapping all the road noise, engine noise, and other noises you
didn't know existed. Possibly could be mitigated by the determined DIYer.

Security: presumably better than a soft top because a pocket knife won't
get you in. I don't know because I don't have keys to my door locks. I
actually think the tonneau is more secure in a way because no one can see
any stuff you might have behind the seats, and as far as I know no one
has ever been curious enough to unzip it. Of course, my foolproof
security system is the fact that the car looks like hell, generally. YMMV.

Storage: one problem is where do you put the thing when you take it off?
Mine is currently leaning against the back fence (not ideal). They
actually sell rigs that will lift them off your car and suspend them from
the garage ceiling, targeted at Mercedes SL owners. Anyway, they're kind
of awkward. Also, if you don't have the packaway soft top, like mine, you
either have to remove the soft top and frame completely (and store that),
or you always have the soft top squeezed behind the seats, leaving you
with very little luggage room.

Quality: you have to discount my comments by the fact that my top is over
20 years old, but the shiny Mylar plastic trim around the quarter lights
is peeling away, and the quarter light seals are shrinking. Also, the
"glass" is actually acrylic, and will scratch. Swing-open quarter lights
would be a nice feature for ventilation; I don't know if anyone offers
them.

Major advantage: dry carpet

Major disadvantage: the sun comes out and you're 50 miles from home -- no
way to go topless.

Recommendation: highly recommended for "two-season" climates (rainy/dry,
or snowy/muggy).

My buck-and-a-quarter's worth...

Scott/Michelle had this to say:

--