Re: If it ain't broke...

To: jason@markerman.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: If it ain't broke...
From: REwald9535@aol.com
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 23:41:39 EDT
In a message dated 6/21/99 8:10:40 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
jason@markerman.com writes:

> Nevermind.  Answered my own question.  That's exactly what the problem was.
>  Put the wires BEHIND the insulator,
Boy does that bring back memories....
It was 1968 and my sister had the 67 B roadster from hell.  My sister called
one day and said that her B had stalled, AAA had been there and could not get
it started, so could I come look at it (clear on the other side of LA).  I
grabbed a set of points, plugs condenser and other stuff and tools and out I
went.  When I got there the points were DOA so I put in the new ones.  I was
very careful to note how everything came apart and put it back the same way.
Car would not start.  Went over the whole thing again.  No Joy.  I worked
until dark and the damn thing would crank but no spark.  I stayed with my
sister that evening and went back the next day after work.  After about two
hours of getting nowhere I sat down and drew a circuit diagram of the
ignition system from memory and started going over the car and discovered the
wires were grounded because they were on the wrong side of the insulator.
This was a case of mixed emotions, I was happy I found the problem, but
pissed that either the tow truck guy had screwed up the wires and I was too
dumb to notice, or I was an idiot.
Oh well that black B may have been an accident magnet, but it was enough to
hook me on LBC's for the rest of my life.
Rick Ewald
Been there, done that, got the T-shirt to prove it.