reinstalling engine in B, need advice

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: reinstalling engine in B, need advice
From: Florrie & Allen Bachelder <bachldrs@swva.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 07:37:28 -0400
Lonn -

Well I can tell you where NOT to hook the chain!  DO NOT use the smog pump
bracket!!!! ' Been there  - ' done that.  The good news is that I'm still
here.  A few years ago my BGT engine/tranny had to come out and go back in
twice.  Hey, the bracket is cast iron -  looked  sturdy  enough to me.
Second time in:  engine/tranny are almost in position, still suspended but
about 2" above the engine mounts.  I had a jack under the tranny while
struggling with those infamous tranny mounts.  There was this halacious
"clunk" -  smog pump bracket cracked/broke and engine dropped the remaining
2 inches.

Four times I had that engine/tranny suspended - half by that bracket.  '
Have no idea how many times I was in danger, let alone the engine itself,
my shop floor and anything else that was underneath.  I keep that broken
bracket prominently displayed in my shop - just to remind me - one just
cannot be TOO careful about stuff like this.

In fact, on my Magnettes, the nuts on the rocker cover studs have built-in
hooks exactly for this purpose.  Like you, I might have some reservations -
what do other listers have to say?

Allen

From: "Lonn Howard" <hoops@owt.com>

>I am ready to drop the engine and tranny back in the BGT... the head and
>rocker
>gear are back on the engine and the only place I can see to chain up are
>the two rocker cover studs (with the rocker cover removed).
>
>Lonn Howard

         Allen H. Bachelder  =iii=<
         Sinking Creek Home for Wayward MGs
         New Castle, VA 24127