Re: Windshield Fogging

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Windshield Fogging
From: Chris Kotting <ckotting@iwaynet.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 07:32:03 -0400
A laminated windshield is a sandwich of tempered glass (for strength)
and plastic (keeps nasty shards of glass out of your face if it DOES
break).

I'm no glass expert, but my understanding is that the fogging is the
result of moisture seeping into this sandwich (whether is seeps into the
plastic or in between the plastic and glass, I don't know).  That would
explain why it happens most at the bottoms and corners (where misture
would tend to collect).  The variable between fogged and not fogged
windshields seems to be age, rain exposure, and quality of the seal
between the rubber and the glass.

Since it's inside the glass, replacement is the only (practical) option
that I know of.

Chris Kotting
ckotting@iwaynet.net