RE: Top Replacement

To: "MG Listserver" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Top Replacement
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 16:41:20 -0700
The flap on the top fits inside the door glass, otherwise you wouldn't be
able to open the door without rolling down the window (there is another
sort of flap that extends upwards and serves as a drip rail). The fact
that this flap connects with a snap to the inside of the windshield frame
would seem to make it obvious. In my previous post on this subject I
speculated that the top bows (at least the front one) may have become
"flattened" over time, with the effect of extending further to the
outside than desirable. This seems logical considering that the force of
the top fabric resisting being stretched would tend to have a flattening
effect on the bows. Then, when you consider the slip joint in the middle
of the bows, you can see that it wouldn't take much of a deflection to
flatten the curvature considerably.

Anyway, I'm willing to put my money (well, used equipment) where my mouth
is, and attempt to see if the frame bows can be bent in such a way that
the return seems to fit properly inside the door windows. Although I must
say that I have noticed that the tubing used in the top bows is immensely
thick-walled and pretty much impervious to bending wih bare hands. I was
planning to employ a bench vise and either a large pipe lever or a
sledge. Hopefully I won't pull my garage down. Or does anyone have
anything to say which would dissuade me from this rash experiment?

In the spirit of empirical inquiry...

Larry Hoy had this to say:

--

Max Heim