Midget: Pistons go which way ??

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Midget: Pistons go which way ??
From: "Butch Lewis" <butchl@eudoramail.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 12:58:01 -0700
I removed the head of a 1275 cc engine in a newly purchased 1973 Midget for
inspection and noticed that the pistons are not all facing the same way. I was
looking for an arrow on the top of the pistons and there appears to be none.
However, there is writing stamped on the top of the pistons. There is what
appears to be an uppercase letter "A" and a string of characters (part number
?) below it. The number 1, number 3, and number 4 pistons have the top of the
letter "A" pointing toward the camshaft (driver's) side of the engine. That is,
if you are standing on the driver's side of the car and looking down into the
cylinders, the writing is upside down. The number 2 piston has the top of the
writing facing away from the camshaft side. Can someone tell me which way the
pistons should be facing ? All of the rods and endcaps are installed in the
correct direction.

  Thanks,
  Butch