Re: custom engine

To: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Subject: Re: custom engine
From: "DENNIS COX" <djc@appsig.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 13:30:04 -0700
--------------3637B7825BE15EBEF43C5E2F

I'm rebuilding the engine for my 67 MGB.  I had the old stock cam reground by D.
Elgin Racing Cams in Redwood City.  http://www.elgincams.com/   I opted for the
7008-10 grind.  They suggested (almost insisted) that the cam be hardened after
grinding.  I was told the same thing, MG cams are soft, Actually that the
hardining process is only a few thousands thick.  When a cam is ground this
hardined layer is removed.  So it is essential that the cam be hardened after
grinding.  The charge for the hardining was about $60.  The engine is still on
the stand so I cant say how this cam is gona work.  But I'll let ya all know...

David Councill wrote:

> On the cam topic - I installed a performance cam in my 71 BGT many years
> ago. First, I sent an old cam to Isky Cams to be reground. So first mistake
> is I sent one of my worn (mild wear) cams figuring they would fix it.
>
> I installed the reground cam and never noticed any performance difference
> at all on my rebuilt engine.
> But a year or so later, at 40k miles, I noticed no movement on some valves
> when I was adjusting the valve lash. So I pulled the cam and found that
> some of the lobes were completely gone and others well rounded!!
>
> Isky claimed MG cams were soft and wore easily or something like that. So I
> put in another old stock cam maybe 90-100k miles ago with no problems. And
> haven't tried any other cam since then. And I won't - however, at some
> later time, I might consider it if other listers know a source of good
> reliable performance cams at a reasonable price (and hopefully a guarantee).

--------------3637B7825BE15EBEF43C5E2F
 name="djc.vcf"

begin:vcard
n:Cox;Dennis