Re: LH-type overdrive won't release

To: mvheim@studiolimage.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: LH-type overdrive won't release
From: Ericsmgs@aol.com
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1999 20:14:55 EDT
The correct oil for the overdrive is 30W.  20W-50 can create too much
pressure and result in some very unsightly internal damage.  If the overdrive
shifts in OK and doesn't release, the problem is more than likely in the
valve body.  There is some problem that is not allowing the pressure to
by-pass once the solenoid is de-energized.  Did you remove the valve body?  I
believe you said that you replaced the o-rings.  If you did remove the valve,
chances are the piston is in backwards, or the spacer tube or one of those
little pesky parts in there is not positioned properly.  I had this happen to
me once when I rebuilt one.  I put the parts in their correct order, and
WHAM-O!, it began working like a charm, and still is!  Hope that is where the
problem lies, because it obviously is no fun to pull one out just after
putting it back in!

Eric Swanger
A's, B's, and 6's