Re: Repair estimate

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Repair estimate
From: "John A. Wise" <wise@db.erau.edu>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1999 13:25:06 +0100
In addition to my daughter's 77 MGB, I have a '77 911 that I gave a face
lift a year ago.  This was done at the best shop in town.  The paint alone
cost >$200.  We replaced the two front fenders with excellent used ones
($500 each).  Plus all the other little things that one does in such
undertakings (new gaskets here & there, etc).  But there was NO major body
work.  They had the car for 4 months (lowest priority) & the final bill was
$4500.  But the car looked like it just arrived off the boat.

About two years before that  I had the MGB repainted at a local bodyshop
who does good work. It was the basic replace the rusty metal & paint job.
It cost me $1300 without any major body work.  The car looks nice, but is
far from looking new.  As a 12 year old neighbor told me, if I drive it
fast no one will notice the minor flaws.  (There are advantages to less
than perfect paint jobs)

Painting a car so that it looks great takes a hugh amount of work, unusual
tools, & special equipment (e.g., dust proof booths).  In addition, the
modern paints can be VERY dangerous to your health.  Most assume positive
breathing devices to protect the painter from the paint - they are
DANGEROUS!

I would say if the estimate came from a top quality shop - i.e., one that
turns out like-new cars - $3K sounds very reasonable...

John

John A. Wise, Ph.D., CHFP                       Tel: (+1) (904) 226-6384
Department of Human Factors & Systems           Fax: (+1) (904) 226-7050
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University            E-mail: wise@db.erau.edu
600 South Clyde Morris Blvd.
Daytona Beach, FL 32114-3900      USA
http://faculty.db.erau.edu/wise