RE: Speedo repair.

To: "Scott/Michelle" <mcjsr@talstar.com>
Subject: RE: Speedo repair.
From: "Steve Conley" <swconley@foxinternet.net>
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 1999 22:20:23 -0700
I'd say the first thing to check is the cable.  Does your MG have the Speedo
counter box in the engine compartment? If so, disconnect the cable at the
box and spin the cable (not sure of direction). Have someone watch the
speedo to see if it moves. This will let you know if the speedo works.
    If it works, connect the cable back up & disconnect the cable at the
transmission.  Repeat the cable test from the bottom.
     Next up is the probable culprit! The right-hand drive that connects the
cable to the tranny.  This was the problem with my speedo and I found a good
inexpensive fix.
     Instead of replacing the right-angle drive (~$70) buy the 68-74 B
speedo cable for O/D (extra long).  Connect this directly to the tranny and
it is long enough to bypass the counter & connect directly to the speedo.
     Hope this helps.

Steve Conley
Marysville, WA  USA
'76 MGB Roadster