Gummed Up Speedometer

To: MG Nuts <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Gummed Up Speedometer
From: Skye Poier <skye@ffwd.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 1999 23:30:58 -0700
Hello everyone,

After 6 months or so of not having a working speedo, I decided to pull
it out and give it a good cleaning.  The needle started sticking
intermittently and then one day it stuck and I heard a bad grinding
noise and the cable broke.  Better the cable than teeth or gears!

So now that I have it apart and the inside of the case has received
a nice coat of high gloss white, I've been poking around in the
internals and it seems the magnet is rubbing against the "cake pan"
as Barney calls it), although I can't see the point of contact.

The grease is very old and not very greasy anymore, can someone please
detail exactly where and what lubricants to use.  Also, should I take
it apart and clean it first?  If so, what's the procedure?  It would
appear I would have to take the needle and faceplate off to get it apart.

Cheers, Skye

--
1966 MGB        The MGB Experience         __,__\__      Safety Fast!
GHN3L-70307     http://www.mgb.bc.ca/     (_o____o_)     MGOFR 1.375