alternator info, FYI

To: "Mg List (E-mail)" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: alternator info, FYI
From: "Alan Lott" <lottala@mail.auburn.edu>
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 1999 09:20:28 -0500
Goodmorning all,

Thought I'd send this out just FYI. I recently bought a rebuilt lucas
alternator for my '71B. It had three terminals as opposed to my original
five terminals. Like a good child, I followed the moss catalogue instruction
on retrofitting my wiring. Life is good. Wrong-o ... no charging from the
alternator. Battery tests good ... alternator tests good ... light in dash
is obviously good because its glowing bright orange right in my face.
Grumble, grumble. Make phone calls and ask opinions ... same story, wiring
is correct for a three terminal lucas. Curse, curse. Use voltmeter to check
voltage output on lugs of alternator. Bottom large lug - 12.03 V ... second
large lug - 14.23 V, small top lug - 14.23. ahhhhhhh! I must have the large
lugs reversed. Switch wire around. Dash light goes out, I'm happy. Go on
long country drive to charge battery. Return an hour later and switch car
off. Try to restart ... dead battery. Notice that the light was out because
it never came on (as in when the ignition is clicked on before starting)
More cursing. Back to wiring diagram for the hundredth time. Decide to look
at all years and determine differences between each. Ah-ha!!!! Notice in
1973-1974 wiring diagram that the "three terminal" alternator needs TWO 12V
connections, one for EACH of the large lugs. Use test wire to connect the
"skinny" brown wire from the original plug to "second" large lug and......
VOILA! 14.23V at the alternator, 14.23V at the battery, and no dash light!

Hope this nests in the archive and/or in the collective wisdom of the list
and saves someone else the grief I went through.

~alan
'71B