RE: learning to paint - also long

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: learning to paint - also long
From: Brian Boss <boss@fastlane.net>
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 1999 16:46:13 -0500
As I have painted 2 cars in a garage I thought I would add my .02 to the
painting thread. One car was lacquer (color sanded) and the other was urethane
(no clear). My observations:
1) Unless your house is very new with a sheetrocked garage that is *totally*
empty, it is impossible to get it clean enough. I built a tent out of lumber
and polyethylene plastic sheet with forced, filtered fresh air (I used an old
HVAC air handler and A/C air filters and cleanliness was still my biggest
challenge.
2) I would never recommend spraying anything w/ isocyanate with a carbon
respirator. I did it and it scared me. The fumes or overspray seemed to make
any exposed skin tingle. A few years ago, a friend of mine who ran an Alfa
Romeo shop and was an ace painter died of liver cancer. Could be coincidence
but he painted a lot with questionable breathing apparatus when he was younger.
3) I feel that HVLP guns don't produce better results, they just use less
paint. Therefore, if you don't plan to do a number of cars, a good suction gun
is the best deal.
4) Both projects looked nice but I swore I would never paint another car with
urethane unless I built a proper booth. It stays tacky so long and dust is so
hard to eliminate.
I pretty much second everything Alan said, especially #1 and #2, practice a lot
and don't go on to the next step if something isn't right. Painting is time
consuming but anyone can produce professional results if they are patient.

Brian Boss
boss@fastlane.net