'76B Brake Servo

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: '76B Brake Servo
From: Florrie & Allen Bachelder <bachldrs@swva.net>
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 1999 19:15:06 -0400
Help, Listers -

I got my '76 B brake servo rebuilt by Apple Hydraulics - and while I'm at
it, I'm replacing clutch and brake master cylinders.  OK so I got the new
clutch master in and the servo installed.  Everything inside the pedal box
is back together - no small feat on a late model B.  Next, I bench bled the
new brake master and got ready to install it...

Problem: new master cylinder (or old one for that matter) won't bolt up to
the rebuilt servo.  Servo came back from Apple with a rubber seal around
the push rod (that engages the master cylinder piston) that sits flush with
outside of servo.  But the master cylinder has a 'nose' that protrudes
perhaps 1" into the servo.  This seal popped off easily enough, revealing
another rubber seal (like the old one) with radial slots - designed to slip
over the protruding nose of the mc.  But even in this configuration, the
mc will not slide into the servo.  Yes I can force it enough to get nuts on
the studs and by tightening them, I suppose I could pull it together - but
I hesitate to try something like that unless I know it's the way to go.

Any advice?  After 12 years of building disc-brake Bs very successfully
without servos, I can't imagine what convinced Abingdon that a servo was
necessary!

Thanks much in advance for any help you can spare me.

Allen

         Allen H. Bachelder  =iii=<
         Sinking Creek Home for Wayward MGs
         New Castle, VA 24127