Found - '70 Road & Track

To: "MG LIST" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Found - '70 Road & Track
From: "Dan Ray" <danray@bluegrass.net>
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 1999 19:28:14 -0500
I just wanted to share a unique find of mine whilst at the flea market
today.
It's a June 1970 Road & Track with a comparison article between the MGB,
Fiat 124, Triumph TR-6 and Porsche 914. It only cost me $2.50! The nostalgia
of seeing the old ads from when I was 3 years old is worth every penny.
The test article is pretty damning of the B in comparison with the others,
but the charts, which are a hallmark of such articles by RT are pretty
interesting. They referred to the B as "dated", the interior as "decidedly
unattractive", and the top folding procedure as a "monumental exercise"
dubbed "Early-Masochistic" (ok, something we ALL know!) but they don't
really slam the performance at all.
Add to this the great ads of the time (the back cover has an add for the new
Plum Crazy Dodge Challenger R/T!) and it's a blast to just stare at the
photos.
I'm sure this article isn't in the "Gold Portfolio" edition for the B but
it's still a cool find. Any other magazine editions I should look out for?
Cheers,
Dan
73 B