Timing is everything

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Timing is everything
From: RobMGB@aol.com
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 1999 13:40:12 EDT
I have 74B with 25D4 dizzy that has vernier timing adjustment. Vernier is as
far as it can go in retarding timing and I still need to go a few degrees.
Please someone confirn it is the pinch nut in the center of the clamping
plate and not the bolt at each end that you loosen to adjust timing. The
pinch bolt has a nut on the front that I can't get at with a wrench and a
square head bolt toward the cockpit that I can't get a wrench on enough to
loosen either.
Fortunately timing is close which broadens the topic. Mine is 74B with
rebuilt and un original block with rebuilt no-lead head and mild street grind
crane cam. Have crane/allison electronic ignition which delivers a jolt
occasionally when trying to turn that vernier on dizzy with hand bumping the
plug wires and stainless oil cooler hose. Best I can figure from book is
timing should be about 13 degrees at 1500 rpm. Anybody got any better advice.
Runs great but could stand a little better gas mileage since it is daily
driver.
Robmgb
74B