Re: running hot, learning to paint

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: running hot, learning to paint
From: Jurgen Hartwig <turbo6bar@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 1999 12:13:43 PDT
I realize that timing too far advanced could cause hot running, but I am
more accustomed to seeing a vehicle running too far retarded running hot.

Brian Boss says:
"3) I feel that HVLP guns don't produce better results, they just use
less paint. Therefore, if you don't plan to do a number of cars, a
good suction gun is the best deal."

Correct.  HVLP guns are only a response to the desires of the EPA.  They
offer no better results than conventional guns, and are in many cases, more
difficult to use.  If one is to consider the purchase of a spray gun for one
or two automobiles, the conventional gun is certainly the way to go.  The
conventional gun will save you paint, since it is much easier to use.
However, go past the older style suction gun and grab a gavity feed.  The
suction gun only puts less than 50% of the paint on the panels.  A good
quality gravity feed will place up to 70% on the panels.  What the gun
makers don't tell you is that the HVLP guns only put marginally more paint
on the panel.  In addition, at times you will find that the low pressure
used in the HVLP guns is not enough to atomize the paint well, and you end
of turning the pressure up, negating much of your savings in the first
place.