Re: MG Sightings - Chicago

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MG Sightings - Chicago
From: Eric Erickson <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 07:08:28 +0000
Alan Pfau wrote:

> I was in Chicago the first part of the week for a work

<snip>

> but then thought also that an MG would be a nice city car; small,
> good visibility with top down, stick shift etc.

Well I spent a bit of time in and around Chicago in the early eighties
so I know what Alan's concerns were but as one who lives near the city
and who drives into the heart of the city most days in the 'B I will say
that my only hassle is that sometimes I feel like I need a gas mask.
The fumes can be a problem that a filtered airconditioner might solve in
cars with a roof.

As far as the visibility and zippyness (and gearing) is concerned... a
great city car that can get into most parking spots.  The turning circle
can get you down when trying to do u-turns that turn into three-point
turns, though.

But I must confess, Adelaide doesn't quite compare to Chicago for
traffic.  Honestly, the whole CBD of my city is like a couple of city
blocks of Chicago and even in the heaviest of traffic I can be in one
side of the city and out the other side in fifteen minutes :-)  Just a
big country town here.

Now Sydney would be a little different.  That city requires a
forcefulness and aggression that maybe you couldn't pull off in a little
'B all the time.  Adelaide drivers wait for a gap, indicate and then
change lanes where in Sydney you indicate and move - people know you are
coming across and just get out of your way, *most* of the time!  Getting
across four of five lanes on the Harbour Bridge was always fun!  My
station wagon was great in those situations, but for parking... well you
are silly if you go into Sydney expecting to find curbside parking
anyway :-)

That was six or seven years ago... any better now Neil???  :-)

Eric
'68 MGB MkII