Heat treating, Dizzy spring trivia

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>, <autox.team.net.mgs@eos.medtronic.COM>
Subject: Heat treating, Dizzy spring trivia
From: "William Eastman" <william.eastman@medtronic.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 1999 15:15:15 -0500
For the person with the hard manifold.  If you heat is up to take out
the temper, do NOT immerse it in water or splash it with water.  You
want it to cool slowly to loose temper.  You cool metal quickly to add
hardness.  For some types of metal you actuall have to pack them in
something to slow the cooling enought to remove the temper.  Quick
cooling can also cause cracks- especially in cast iron or where a part
has a sharp edge.

With all of this talk about advance weights and springs, I have a trivia
question.  Does anyone know why there is almost always one heavy and one
light spring on the counterweights?  I will follow up with what I
believe to be the right answer in a few days.

The MGA is not getting much exercise lately.  Too much going on.  This
weekend has been very hot and humid so I have been sticking to the cars
with AC.  I know, I'm a wimp but that is just the way it goes.  Besides,
I sweat so much the chassis would probably start rusting ;-)

Regards,
Bill Eastman
61 MGA  waiting out the present heat wave.