MGB wiring diagrams

To: MG list <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: MGB wiring diagrams
From: Jim Stuart <jimbb88@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 1999 18:45:40 -0400
I must defend the Bently Manual- it does have the correct wiring diagram
for a 1977 MGB, the only manual that I know of that does.

The 1977 was a bastard year for wiring. It is really just a 1976 with
cooling fans added. I have owned one for 12 years, & repaired or
replaced much of the wiring in that time, especially when converting it
to a V8.

My Bently Manual, 1975-80, shows no publishing date, but is copywrite
1980, stock #X112. Page 240 shows a diagram for a 1976 catalytic
converter car, with a note to see pg 246 for the 1977 suplement, which
is the diagram for the electric fans.

My Haynes Manual, copywrite 1991, has a wiring diagram on pg 201, titled
"later N. American cars". It presumably covers 1975-80. It is really a
1980 diagram, including a number of parts not found on a 1977, but not
identified as such, except for a heading on the key "not all items are
fitted to all models".

Both are good manuals, I am not trying to start a controversy here, but
the Bently covers 19750-80 in 288 pages, and is an official factory
reprint, while the Haynes covers 1962-80 in 245 pages. If you need
simple, use the Haynes, if you need more info, use the Bently. For
wiring, I use the Bently.

Jim Stuart

1974 MGBGTV8,
1975 MGBV8 in progress